Easy Ways to Log Out of Facebook Facebook Website Facebook Mobile App Logging Out Remotely Facebook Messenger App, Staying logged into Facebook makes sense if you have a computer that’s truly personal, but if your computer is shared it’s better to log out as soon as you’re done using it. If you forgot to log out of a public or shared computer, you can use the Facebook security settings to log out remotely. If you need to log out of the Messenger app, you’ll need to use some workarounds since there is no log out function built-in. To remove yourself more permanently from Facebook, you can also deactivate your account.
Method 1Facebook Website
1. Click the small arrow in the upper-right corner. You can find this on the right side of the blue Facebook header bar. The arrow points down, and looks like ▼.
2. Click “Log Out” at the bottom of the menu. You will immediately be logged out of the Facebook website.
Method 2Facebook Mobile App
1. Open the Facebook menu. Tap the “☰ More” button in the lower-right corner (iOS), or the ☰ button in the upper-right corner (Android). This will open the Facebook menu.
2. Scroll to the bottom and tap “Log Out.” This is the last button in the menu.
3. Tap “Log Out” again to confirm. This will log you out of the Facebook app and return you to the app’s log in screen. If your Facebook account is synced with your Android device, it will no longer sync.
Method 3Logging Out Remotely
1. Use this method to log out of a computer or device you no longer have access to. If you left Facebook open while at work or at school, or left the app open on your friends phone, you can use your Security Settings to log out remotely. This method can also log you out of Facebook Messenger, which doesn’t normally have a “Log Out” option.
2. Visit your Security Settings page. This will display all of your account’s security options. Desktop site – Click the down arrow in the upper-right corner of your Facebook homepage, select “Settings,” then select “Security.” You can also visit facebook.com/settings?tab=security and log in if prompted. Facebook App and Mobile site – Tap the ☰ button, scroll to the bottom, then tap “Account Settings.” Tap the “Security” option.
3. Open your list of active logins. This list will display all of the locations that you are currently logged into Facebook. This will include your current device, your mobile devices, and any other locations you are logged in at. Desktop site – Click the “Where You’re Logged In” option. You’ll find this towards the bottom of the Security menu. Facebook App and Mobile site – Tap “Active Sessions.”
4. Expand each category to see where you’re logged in (desktop).You’ll see the name of the device (as reported to Facebook), the approximate location, and the date last accessed. Use this information to find the session you need to end. You’ll likely see several entries for yourself, including your current browsing session, your mobile phone, and Messenger.
5. End a session to log out remotely. This will end your session for that device, and Facebook will be returned to the login page. If anyone is currently viewing your Facebook page from that browser or app, they will be kicked off immediately. Desktop site – Click the “End Activity” link next to an entry to log out. Facebook App and Mobile site – Tap the “X” next to an entry to log out.
6.Click the “End All Activity” link to sign out everywhere (desktop).If you want to be absolutely sure you don’t have an open session somewhere, click the “End All Activity” link at the top of the “Where you’re logged in box.” This will sign you out everywhere, including the browser you’re currently using. This option only appears on the desktop site.
Method 4Facebook Messenger App
1. Use the remote logout feature outlined above. Facebook Messenger does not have a “Logout” option built-in to the app. This means you’ll need to use some workarounds to get your account logged out. The quickest way is to use the remote logout tool discussed in the section above. Find the “Messenger” session and end it to log out of the app. This is the only way to sign out of Messenger on an iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch.
2. Clear app data (Android). Another way to log out of the Android version of Messenger is to clear the app’s data: Open your Android’s Settings app.
Select “Apps” or “Application Manager.” Tap “Messenger” in the list of apps. Tap the “Clear Data” button. If you don’t see it, tap “Storage” first. This will log you out of the Messenger app.
3. Log out of the Facebook app so you can’t be logged back in. If the Facebook app on the same device as Messenger is logged in, Messenger can be logged back in with a single tap. You’ll need to log out of the Facebook app as well if you don’t want to make it easy to log back into Messenger.